This session will provide an overview of Title VI and current policy governing language access to the courts, as well as enforcement tools.
Topics will include:
- the right to a qualified interpreter at no cost;
- right to translation of vital documents;
- advance notice of the right to an interpreter and how to request one;
- interpretation for conducting general business with the court and for services outside the courtroom;
- the complaint process;
- and best practices in representation of limited English proficient clients including the ethical duty to communicate with clients.
We will also share some examples of non-compliance with language rights we have seen and how these issues can affect our clients.
Co-sponsored with the PBA Civil and Equal Rights Committee and DEI Team.
All attendees will receive the course book as a digital download. A printed copy of the course book is available, at a discount to attendees, for $40. If you wish to purchase the printed version of the course book, please call PBI Customer Service at 800-932-4637.
Recorded in June 2022.