Electronic medical records, artificial intelligence and e-prescriptions have dramatically changed the practice of medicine.
Every time a client visits a health care provider, a record is made – a history of complaints, the physician’s observations, and prescribed treatment. Understanding and using these electronic records can be a daunting task, hampered by jargon, abbreviations, unfamiliar words and various digital formats.
Professor Sam Hodge returns to the dais with his unmatched energy, graphics-intense format and entertaining delivery to guide you to case-clarifying sense. In this program he teaches:
- The nuances of medical records in view of federal and state mandates such as HIPAA, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the Cures Act and Medicare
- How to cut through red tape in obtaining medical records at a fraction of the costs
- How health care providers maintain and organize records, especially in view of electronic medical records and e-prescription initiatives
- Common medical phrases and abbreviations as well as the terms used in the writing of prescriptions for medication and routes of drug administration
- The crossroad involving medical and legal ethics
- Practice and litigation tips every step of the way with specific references to statutes, regulations, court cases and medical record forms
- How to understand the electronic medical chart and determining if the record has been altered or if material is missing
9:00 AM - 9:30 AM
Ethics Issues Involving the Intersection of Law and Medicine
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Obtaining Medical Records and Understanding Them
- Cutting through the red tape
- Electronic medical records
- Obtaining records at a fraction of the cost
10:30 AM - 10:45 AM
10:45 AM - 11:30 AM
The Changing Nature of Medical Records in View of Federal and State Mandates
- The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
11:30 AM - 12:15 PM
Understanding the Different Kinds of Medical Records
- Understanding medical jargon and abbreviations
- Hospital records and physician records
Learn from an award-winning teacher
Sam’s Medicine/Anatomy classes are fun! He brings boundless enthusiasm and unique expertise to his seminars. His interactive presentation will hold you captive, as he takes you into the anatomy lab to better understand the terminology and tests intrinsic to medicine.
Your peers come back again and again to see Sam Hodge…
- “Sam offers valuable advice on what to do when doctors push back against subpoenas and thoroughly explains the importance of each type of medical records (primary care record vs hospital record vs operative report.)”
- “Should be a required seminar for all plaintiffs’ personal injury and defense/insurance lawyers. “
- “Funny—better than the doctors that give dry and boring talks over our head!”
All attendees will receive the course book as a digital download. A printed copy of the course book is available, at a discount to attendees, for $30. Additional copies are available at full price. If you wish to purchase the printed version of the course book, please call PBI Customer Service at 800-932-4637. Please allow up to two weeks after the program for the printed versions of the course book to be shipped.