Attorneys must maintain an IOLTA/Trust account to hold funds of clients and others, and must also comply with specific Rules of Professional Conduct detailing how to account for IOLTA funds. Because many attorneys are confused by or do not understand how to manage their IOLTA accounts, they may find themselves the subject of a disciplinary proceeding.
This program will focus of the nuts and bolts of handling IOLTA/Trust accounts, so that attorneys can clear up any confusion and avoid potential problems. During this FREE 1.5 ethics CLE credit webinar, speakers from Pennsylvania’s IOLTA Board, the Lawyers Fund for Client Security, and the Disciplinary Board will discuss IOLTA. By the time you finish this program you will:
• Discover the most common reasons attorneys get in trouble for IOLTA-related issues
• Understand how IOLTA works
• Learn how to handle an IOLTA account
• Know your responsibilities for IOLTA accounts under the Rules of Professional Conduct
• See practical examples of best practices for accounting for IOLTA funds
• Learn how the various boards respond to complaints
Recorded in November 2020.